Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Public Service

I had reason to travel into Melbourne City yesterday to attempt to have one of my (many) licenses renewed. The Government office where I needed to re-apply was busy but I took a number and sat and waited my turn. The officious (and slightly vicious) woman behind the counter was loud, rude and had little patience for anyone who didn't possess the documents relevant to their application. She was 40-something years of age, slightly overweight (who isn't?) and was dressed conservatively but well. While sitting and demonstrating my infinite patience I could overhear her bombastic and sarcastic remarks to her 'customers'. I realised immediately that she bore some kind of regret or anger in her life and this appeared to make her at odds with the world. She needed to express her feelings, address her attitude. In short she needed a spanking. Anyway while I sat there a couple came in and sat behind me. Both aged in their early to mid 50's. She was talkative and he seemed to have good humour. They chatted about the weather, the cost of fuel and the fact that they had to wait so long every time they needed to refer to a Government office. They could clearly hear the counter-attendant's rudeness because she remarked to him that the woman sounded like a foghorn! It was his remark that pricked up my ears "Perhaps she needs to join you the next time you go across my knee". I couldn't believe it! I've only ever known (personally) of one other couple, in this fair town, who practise CP (for discipline or pleasure) and I was so surprised I almost missed my turn at the counter. I couldn't turn around and look at them (obviously) however she was sure that someone had heard his comment by the volume of her immediate "Sshhh" and his quiet laughter. I smiled to myself but stopped short of turning and telling them of my interest and activities although the temptation was there.

No comments: